The lake was named after Crosbie Brady, a Surveyor who was responsible for the survey of Hindon Township.
Crosbie Brady named Brady’s Lake around 1858.
One of the first residents of Brady’s Lake was James Austen Sr., from London, Ontario.
“James Austen Sr., in the spring walked all the way from London, Ontario, a distance of between 200 and 300 miles, to take up land on Brady’s Lake. All summer he laboured alone clearing the land for next year’s crop. When the turning of the leaves heralded winter, he trekked the weary miles back to London where he worked the winter before returning to settle permanently. His efforts were crowned with success and his descendants still live in the area.” (1)
Boyd Road was named after Johnny Boyd, who lived at the foot of Brady’s Lake. He was the bass drum player in the annual Minden Orange Hall’s 12th of July Orangemen’s parade.
Hindon Hill was Hindon township’s only settlement and had a post office set up around 1878, with Daniel Taylor as its first post master.
Early residents of Hindon Hill were:
Johnny Boyd, Dan Taylor, Crawford’s, Armstrong’s, Moses Hewit,
Billy Toye, Abner Trumbull, Malcolm Kent, James Toye
“Since Hindon’s soil, even along the Bobcaygeon Road and Brady’s Lake, was not suited for agriculture, the land deteriorated until the Ontario Government formulated a scheme by which Hindon farmers were to be transplanted to the New Ontario clay belt; the abandoned fields were to be reforested.
The move was made in 1927 with the government bearing the expense; the livestock was driven from the barns of Hindon Hill to the railway station at Gelert for shipment north. Some of the families transported there were Moses Hewitt, D. Toye, Billy Toye, Abner Trumbull and Malcolm Kent.” 2
1.”In Quest of Yesterday”, Reynolds, Nila. Provisional County of Haliburtion, 1973